The Zucchini Chocolate Cake
The most moist, decadent and soft chocolate cake. Hard to believe that there are zucchinis inside, but they are key in lending their incredible juiciness and satisfying bite to this incredible chocolate cake. This recipe is great if you don't have a mixer, but still want to enjoy a beautifully moist and fluffy cake from time to time. You can bake this in loaf tins, and this recipe yields two, which will go faster than you think.
Assemble the following:
- 3 cups grated Yam House Farm Zucchini (about 1lb of zucchini)
- 2 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown cane sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 PEG free range eggs
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Two loaf tins (buttered and floured, or lined with baking paper)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Grate your zucchinis and squeeze out the pulp a little to drain off some of the water and set above a strainer to finish draining.
- Meanwhile, melt your butter, and whisk in your instant coffee, salt and then sugars. Whisk this vigorously for a few minutes and then add in your two eggs, continuing to whisk this.
- In a separate large mixing bowl whisk together your flour, cocoa powder and baking soda, and add in your grated zucchini. Rub the dry mix over the grated zucchini until it is evenly coated and there are no big lumps of flour or zucchini.
- Give your butter and egg mixture a final few whisks and add to the flour mix, along with the chocolate chips, taking care to mix together thoroughly. At this point you will have a beautifully dark thick cake mix, and you will want to work quickly to pour this mixture equally into the two loaf tins.
- Bake for about 50 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean in the highest point of the cake.
- Allow to cool (at least a little!) before removing from the tins. Perfect for afternoon tea or coffee.